- We prosecute and defend civil actions for personal injury and wrongful death.
- We act for local governments in the enforcement of bylaw requirements within their jurisdiction.
- We defend professionals involved in civil environmental actions. We also defend criminal prosecutions involving marine transportation and forestry clients.
- We prosecute and defend civil actions arising out of fire damage claims. This includes subrogation proceedings for insurers and the defence of design professionals and building contractors.
- We provide insurance coverage advice to insurers and insureds. We prosecute and defend claims for insurance coverage under CGL policies and errors and omissions policies in the British Columbia Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, as well as before neutral coverage evaluators and arbitrators.
- We provide legal services in health law, including administrative law matters, adult guardianship and medical malpractice defence.
- We also offer legal advice and services relating to professional regulation and act as independent counsel for administrative tribunals.
- The lawyers at Twining, Short & Haakonson focus primarily on complex civil litigation cases. Even the seemingly simplest of civil litigation cases can be legally complex. Navigating the rules of court, keeping up on the latest statutory and judge-made law, and developing a sense for achieving the best result only comes with experience. Our lawyers achieve this in even the most complex of litigation cases.
- Our primary focus, within the area of construction litigation, is the defence of design professionals such as architects, professional engineers and surveyors. In addition, we act for contractors and owners on various matters, including construction extras claims and builders liens.
MUNICIPAL AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT LAW
- We also focus on the defence of local governments throughout the province in actions involving defective construction, fire loss and personal injury. In addition, we assist local governments in drafting and interpreting their building bylaws, policies and procedures.
- We defend architects, professional engineers, land surveyors, quantity surveyors, accountants and lawyers in civil proceedings at all court levels from Provincial Court through to the Supreme Court of Canada. In addition, we prosecute and defend disciplinary proceedings on behalf of architects, professional engineers, accountants and quantity surveyors.
- We prosecute and defend civil actions involving products defect claims and failure to warn claims.
REAL ESTATE DEFENCE
- We defend civil actions involving realtors.